San Francisco Airport (SFO) is the principal international airport in the San Francisco Bay Area, but visitors to UC Berkeley also frequently fly through the Oakland International Airport (OAK) and, less frequently, the San Jose Mineta International Airport (SJC). Below we detail our recommended modes of transportation to Berkeley from each airport. The Berkeley Downtown BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station is a few minutes walk from campus.
- SFO to Berkeley: BART Red Line, approx 1.5 hours nonstop to the Berkeley Downtown BART station
- OAK to Berkeley: 8-min airport train to Coliseum BART station, then BART to the Berkeley Downtown BART station, approx. 50 mins
- SJC to Berkeley: VTA Route 60 bus (Airport Flyer) to Milpitas BART station, then BART to the Berkeley Downtown BART station, approx. 1 hour 40 mins.
The Clipper Card is the Bay Area’s all-in-one transit card that is accepted on all transit systems in the region, including BART and buses. You may obtain a Clipper Card by downloading the app on your phone, ordering a card by mail, or purchasing at any BART station.
For local events and general tourism, we suggest the following outlets:
We recommend visiting the following institutional partners in the immediate area during your stay:
- Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAMPFA)
- Berkeleyside, local events calendar
- The Magnes Collection of Jewish Life and Culture
Visitors also commonly visit the following institutions in the Bay Area. Please note that one-way travel to San Francisco on BART takes approximately 45 mins. If you plan to visit several of these museums, you may want to purchase a CityPASS.
- Oakland Museum of California, Oakland
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA), San Francisco
- Asian Art Museum, San Francisco
- Museum of the African Diaspora, San Francisco
- Contemporary Jewish Museum, San Francisco
- California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco
- de Young and Legion of Honor Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, San Francisco
- Exploratorium, San Francisco
The following link to the restaurants' reservation pages where available. We recommend making dinner reservations ahead of time, and most restaurants offer reservations up to three months in advance. Please note the end times for the following evening events for the conference:
- Tuesday May 28: Opening keynote and evening reception from 4-7pm
- Wednesday May 29: Membership Dinner (optional) with cocktail hour and open bar from 6-9pm
- Thursday May 30: Last conference session to end at 5pm
- Friday May 31: Last conference session to end at 5pm
Restaurants taking reservations within walking distance from UC Berkeley:
- Gather: adjacent to campus and a favorite amongst faculty and staff, with patio dining available
- Chez Panisse Restaurant: historic California cuisine with a set menu, and competitive reservations
- Chez Panisse Cafe: a great alternative to eating at the Chez Panisse Restaurant, and is also open for lunch
- Fish and Bird Sousaku Izakaya: modern Japanese izakaya
- Rose Pizzeria: intimate pizzeria with patio dining
- Great China: family-style northern Chinese
- Comal: Mexican, additional seating available for walk-ups and in the outdoor back bar area